Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Sopranos: Tony Is Dead

I really enjoyed the Sopranos (didn't get to watch it until yesterday, since I have my priorities straight: Brewers then all else). The episode was fantastic as a whole, but some people are whining about the ending.

The cut to black was brilliant. It lets everyone come to their own conclusions and will keep people debating the Sopranos for years. My belief is that Tony was killed and the final scene was through his eyes (like the cuts to everyone who walked in from Tony's perspective). The screen went blank, as in Tony and Bobby's discussion about not feeling anything when it happens. "You never hear it coming." I think Member's Only guy killed him.

However, this also was a brilliant way to leave the series open for a movie. None of the main guys still alive (Tony, his family, Paulie and Sil) were killed. In addition to plot possibilities, there will be considerable buzz for a movie, and water cooler discussion, about the Sopranos from now until it is finally made.

I'll probably watch it again in a few days to see if I still liked it, but since the more I think about it the more I like it, I'm sure I'll still enjoy it.