Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Adios Jackass!

from the NY Post








March 9, 2005 -- "I think that there was a general feeling among quite a lot of
us around the CBS shop and, indeed, some of the viewers, that Dan gave the
impression of playing a role, more than simply trying to deliver the news to the
audience. . . . It's a personality question. I don't think he was thinking of
himself of playing the role, although I don't know that. But that is the
impression that came across."

— Legendary CBS News anchorman Walter
Cronkite, on his successor, Dan Rather, whose last broadcast in that role is
scheduled for tonight


The whole thing seems somewhat strange to me. I have never once watched Rather or any of his broadcasts. Not any 60 minutes, and not one CBS Evening News. The whole Network News thing seems completely worthless to me. I will be watching tonight, because I want him to freak out and say something interesting and historic. It would be fantastic if he said something like "Screw you America, I'm outtie!"

That's what I'm hoping for anyway. Anything less than a kiss off would be disappointing to me. You know the guy hates all us "real" Americans, so why not just come out and say it? Maybe then he'll earn a little respect. Til he speaks his mind and says how he really feels, he'll just be another partisan shilling for his leftist masters. Either that or he could go out with a little dignity...

I would like at this moment to announce that I will be retiring from this
program...because of poor ratings. Since this show is the only thing I had going
for me in my life, I've decided to kill myself. I'm going to blow my brains out
right on this program... (From Network)


Just kidding Dan.


EDIT: So I lied, I didn't watch it. I did record it however, but honestly, I won't watch it. He didn't do anything cool or memorable, he just uttered "courage" and actually did go quietly into that goodnight. Good things did come out of this though, as Jiblog (it's Jib-log) made up some song lyrics and got "mad props" on Coast to Coast. While I don't have quite the creativity I was also reminded of Dan Rather while listening to the Greatest Album of All Time this afternoon...

Idiot wind, blowing like a circle around my skull,

From the Grand Coulee Dam to the Capitol.

Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your teeth, You're an idiot, babe.

It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe. Dylan